In May 1844, Samuel Morse (Morse Code) sent the first official telegram over the line from Washington DC to Baltimore with the message: "What hath God wrought?" Do you think Samuel Morse realized then the significance of what he had invented? The first form of TEXTING!!!!
Remember making phone calls and getting a busy signal? I remember a Brady Bunch episode when the family phone was being used constantly so Mike installed a pay phone for the family use. They would deposit dimes for their minutes. When the dimes ran out your phone time was over! Remember that one? It backfired!
No matter the problem, phones are critical to our communication today - now more than ever before.
I am a mother of an 11 year old girl,who has just begun using her
IPOD for texting. She isn't my first child to text. My other two children (who are 16 and 10 years older than her) didn't get phones until they were 16 because back in "those days" they were still a novelty. When my son gave my 11 year old his used (3rd generation) IPOD Touch, she was thrilled and instantly downloaded a "texting app."
It wasn't long until I came to recognize the musical chime when a text came in for her to read, which after time came frequently. A few weeks into this new found freedom I noticed I wasn't hearing that musical chime as much anymore. I asked her why and she told me she just gets sick of texting. It's a waste of time because we aren't really saying anything.
At that moment I realized for the first time that my 11 year old might have some self-discipline and some common sense.
So, my daughter and I had a brainstorming session! Here are some fun ideas we came up with to text about:
1. Text a Compliment - You are kind
2. Text a one question quiz - Whats the capital of Florida?
3. Text a quote and pass it on- "Believe that you can do it- what ever it is
that you set your heart on."
4. Text positive gossip. Did you hear that Jen has a pretty smile?! Pass it on!
5. Text a nice scripture- " Mosiah 2: 41"
6. Text an invite! - Invite a friend to say: "Mom, I love u!"
7. Text an "I am thankful for... "
8. Text a good, clean joke!- "What did the hungry Dalmation say when he had a meal?"
That hit the spots! ha ha
9. Text "A word of the day." - ask for the definition. like "mishap"
10. Text a service idea. Set the table without being asked.
There you have it! Cell phones are a wonderful invention. Let's just use them for good!
And that's an idea for the day!
PASS IT ON!!


No comments:
Post a Comment